Agilepalooza NYC 2012

Agilepalooza NYC 2012 (by VersionOne) was held at the Marriott downtown this year. The turn out was a modest group of maybe 60-80 attendees. I say modest because we’re used to the larger events. Here’s what we gathered this year.

Done Done Done

-David Bulkin adds another level of done

Keynote by David Bulkin – Agile Team, from Good to Great
In his talk, David did an overview of the Agile process. Here are some of the highlights:
Definition of Done at sprint planning: answer the question “What will we demo at the end of this Sprint?”
- Definition of Done Done Done
Done – Coding is complete and tested
Done – Accepted by the Business
Done – Accepted by the Market – “Sustainable product being used by real users and gauged business impact of change”

- Retrospectives – In addition to the standard group Retrospective at the end of the Sprint, David suggests doing individual Retrospectives.
Here’s how they work:
Each team member leaves the room. The remaining members quietly write out 2 pluses and 1 change they evaluated about that team member on an index card.
They all share the results as a team.
The Scrum Master should offer the team to give 2 pluses and 5 changes for his/her performance in the sprint.
With the exception of leaving the room, this process reminds me a bit of Ritual Dissent used in Design Studio.

Alex Adamopoulos (CEO of Emergn) did a presentation on Lowering the total Cost of an Agile Change and Transformation. Much of the presentation focused on the benefits of what he called “Work-Based Training” (fka OJT or On the Job Training) to that of “Traditional Agile Training.” Other than the reference to the Kolb Cycle I was hoping for more substance particularly to how to quantify the lowered cost of work-based training other than the obvious expense of training such as the cost/benefit of early release versus waiting, or the cost/benefit of embedding the QA process throughout the iterative process.

Satish Thatte’s talk on “Turbo-Charging Agile Software Development with Lean Methods” was another comparison session pitting Scrum versus Lean. Personally I found it a little bias, but he does remind us of the <=7% Value Ratio (only 7% of IT projects actually provide value while there remaining 93% account for waste – unused features/code)
He also reminds of Gerald Weinberg’s piece on the dangers of Multi-tasking.

Overall, this year’s Agilepalooza NYC was par as far as new knowledge or breakthroughs but serves as a great venue for anyone just cutting their teeth with Agile.

No Comments Permalink

Say something